Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Needles

I don't think any rational person is enthusiastic about being injected with a needle. Lately I have become very familiar with them. I was recently tested for any blood clotting factors since they are genetic. I have not only one but two blood clotting factors: Factor V and MTHFR.

What does that mean? During pregnancy your risk of blood clots increases so everyday I take a baby aspirin and have to inject myself with a blood thinner on the side of my stomach. I tried to save you from seeing the glory of my stretch marks.











I pleaded with the doctor, "Is there any other way? Pills, whatever? I hate needles! I have had 2 perfect pregnancies, if you are trying to be cautious...don't."

To which he responded, "You were just lucky."

So this is what I do everyday. I have actually gotten used to it. I still do it really slow and according to John "as painful as possible" but that's the only way I can do it. Maybe it is in reality a control issue not an needle phobia. John injected me one day and I freaked out. The lack of control of the inflicted pain was more than I could handle. So maybe if I could give myself the epidural during delivery I wouldn't be so scared. John has assured me that if I ever saw the size of the needle used in the epidural I would pass out in a second. I'll take his word for it.

The one good thing about seeing the perinatal specialist is that we get to find out what we are having next week which is a little earlier than usual. I usually have a feeling of what it is going to be but I haven't yet.

John is convinced it is a girl because I have been "different" this pregnancy. No matter how hard I try he will not expound on what "different" means. I'm telling you, John should have been a politician. He knows just exactly what to say (or not say) to keep things p.c. and to stay out of trouble. I could learn a lot from him.

21 comments:

MEG said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I love how he will only say you've been "different". Good boy John!

So I've had to give myself an injection in my leg every day and be sure to get it into the muscle. That sucks. Some days go easier then others huh? Slow definitely IS more painful. Good for you getting tested for blood clot factors! WOW, that's scary!

Beth said...

that does not look fun! but good you are documenting it so the little one can see what mommy went through. can't wait to find out what your are having!

i will for sure email you the soup recipe. it really is SO yummy and it feeds an army-perfect to bring to someone in need and still have leftovers.

Emily Sue said...

These shots are so interesting. I wonder if I will have to do them in my next pregnancy. Crazy that we have the same disorder. I am sure everything will be great. I love the war wounds!

Zappe Family said...

My oh My! That's crazy! I'd be freaked out to have Aaron give me a shot too. I'm with you on the control of inflicted pains. ;) That's so fun to find out so early what you're having! :)

jana beck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jana said...

This is so random, but i stumbled onto your blog through my cousins John and Barb... My cousin - John's little sister - has Factor V too and she had to do the same thing during pregnancy. I can't even imagine, you're so brave!

p.s. If I could choose, I would have two boys first and then a girl :) Good luck!

Unknown said...

Oh I don't know how you give yourself injections, I couldn't do it! We are excited to hear what you are having. I think you will have a girl. Two boys and then a girl, it's perfect. (that's how my family is, and I'm the girl)But really, it'll be perfect whether its a boy or girl!!!

Nead Family said...

oh my goodness, that looks so painful! Poor Christy...but, thank goodness for modern medicine! you're a champ!

The Evers said...

I am so so sorry, that looks awful. I dont even know what to say other then that totally sucks, but hopefully it will be worth it, I am sure it will be! Congrats on a girl! I guess I can give you some girl advice if you ever need it. I am starting to become a pro. I think you will be shocked at how dramatic they are compared to boys. I so love having mini mes around though:)

Caryn said...

Oh needles are NO FUN! On the other hand I just saw the Perinatalogist today and it was great fun. SO enjoy those visits! I love being termed 'high risk' cause you get to do tons more ultrasounds and see the baby a lot!

I will think PINK for you if you think PINK for me, okay???

Amy said...

Oh you POOR girl. The things we have to do to get our babies here safe. I hate needles. That's why I had my babies natural. I would have to do the injections too. I would need that control. Gook luck! I'm excited to hear what you're having.

Jeff and Krishawn said...

That bruise looks painful. Landon was looking over my shoulder as I was reading and he kept saying, "Owe...Mommy". Is it possible he remembers the shots I had to give myself? I don't know but I do feel your pain. Good luck!

Jared and Casi said...

Ouch! I know for sure I would not be able to do that to myself. You are very brave. I don't think have have told you yet, so Congrats on the pregnancy!

Christina said...

Hey Christy. It's been a while.
Congrats on being pregnant. That is so exciting, but not fun that you have to get shots everyday.
Good luck with everything.
Christina Kilton

Matt & Emily said...

That sucks about the shots! I haven't checked in on you guys for a while so I just got to say a couple things, that pregnant woman in the bikini is too much, and my kids use the term jumpolene (and I don't correct them because I like it).
Also, Congrats! I can't wait to hear what you're having! Kristin Kirby just had boy number 3! And well, you know Amanda...

Heather said...

I am cringing right now. I don't think I COULD do that! Maybe if it would save my unborn child, but DANG girl! You get my vote for bravest prego girl EVER! Just eat chocolate while you are doing it to get your mind off of it.

Tim, Shelbie, Hudson, Lex and Navy J said...

Ouch! Sorry girl, I could never do that I'm a little scared of needles too. You are so brave! Can't wait to hear what you are having!

Neal and Shannon said...

Congratulations!!! I haven't seen you forever and I didn't know you were expecting. I'm so excited for you guys and sorry about the injections. That does not look fun. I hope everything is going well, and let me know if you need anything. Talk to you soon.

Ryan & Brooke said...

Hey Kristy, I am sure you are wondering what creepy person this is cyber peeping on your page. I was one of Megan's roomates at the Y and we met several times. I just wanted to thank you for your injection post. I am about to start daily injections in March and I am a little okay a lot worried about them. Thanks for your post, you give me hope that I won't passout giving it to myself.

Jyl... said...

You win an award for doing that! At least there is some kind of treatment! I can't wait to hear what you are having. Tell john we say hi

Ami Bethea said...

That sucks! I have a few friends that had the same problem and as soon as they had a pregnancy with the clotting factors issue, they had to do it every pregnancy without fail. Bummer girl, that is NOT fun. I love giving shots but I hate getting them, I am a total wus. And yes the needle for the epidural is RIDICULOUS. I fainted watching one be inserted, if you remember my blood patch procedure story from last year, they are freaky. Good luck! I can't wait to find out what you're having!