Thursday, September 6, 2007

Help Me!



Every morning I get up, get the kids fed and then run on my treadmill (after looking in all of Austin's toy bins for my ipod headphones which he always "borrows"). Fortunately for me, our friends were moving and offered us their treadmill (thanks Donnie and Aubrie). So your thinking, oh she should be in great shape. If only running didn't make me want to eat everything in sight! Having the treadmill has been so nice, especially with two kids, to be able to run whenever I want in the comfort of my own home. There is rarely a day where I don't have to jump off due to a plea by Austin to either have a snack, go "pee-pee on the potty", or who has just knocked over one of my hanging plants because he was "trying to climb the tree". Brock only complains when he is bored with what he is slobbering on and needs a new toy to drench in his unlimited drool! Believe it or not, this all beats the 15 minute commute to 24hour fitness, check the kids into childcare, be flagged down by the childcare people to change a diaper, and eventually only get 20 minutes of cardio before one of the kids has a meltdown option. They won't take Brock until he is 6 months old, so I may try it again when he is old enough. The only place we could fit the treadmill is in our office/storage/guestroom. A white wall in front of me is my only entertainment other than my ipod...which brings me to my complaint. I have listened to every song on my ipod a ZILLION times. What happens is that only a few songs on my ipod keep me going...Survivor by Destiny's Child and Lose Control by Missy Elliot. Random...I know. For John, it's AC/DC and anything from Rocky. Yeah, doesn't do it for me...So all you runners out there, I need the songs that get you through that last lap! I have been looking for a half marathon out here but they are all on Sunday so if anyone finds one that's not let me know!

12 comments:

meg said...

Hey christy- Hi! Glad you checked in with me. Your fam is adorable and how fun to be in Florida! We lived in Virginia for 4 years and loved it. As for Ipod stuff - I love listening to talk radio. I use to subscribe to the Sean Hannity Show(political talk) and it was new every day. So, there's an idea. I'm sure there is other non political stuff that you might find entertaining for the ipod. Good luck. I also had similar frustrations with taking my kids to the gym. My kids were always crying or pooping etc. But, when I got really consistent they got use to it. It took several times of trying before I got to stay through an entire class. So, don't give up yet. There's hope! Megan

Kimi D said...

I have an awesome CD mix that I used to use for both teaching pump and hip-hop at the Gold's on 9th East (ah, those crazy days!) I'll send a copy in the mail. If it turns out you don't like it for the work-out, I know you'll like it for the memories!

Lance and Becky said...

Christy, I would love to do a half marathon! I just started running again, and I'm kind of having the same problem. I get sick of songs so fast, but it seems like I listen to the same ones over and over, but I found some techno stuff, but there's words to it, and I really like it, I'll get back to you on the names...Lance found them for me :) Oh, I really like that new song "umberella"

Lance and Becky said...

P.S. ask Barb too, she's a running machine!

Lance and Becky said...

Sorry, I had another thought late last night! So, I've been running for a few weeks, and I haven't noticed a difference...at all! I totally eat everything in sight, and it does make me more hungry to run, we'll work on it together :)

The Schureman Family said...

Larry is a little crazy looking even I get a little spooked when I walk past the living room! Your awesome....the only work out I get is cleaning and chasing kids..lol!! I would love to start running & I need to start doing crunchies to lose some "twin" fat! When I'm cleaning and doing stuff around the house I BLAST some J.T. and it gets me going!! Love him:)

Becky said...

Hey Christy... don't know if you remember me, Becky (Denham) Jones from good old Mt. View, but I also have a treadmill, and go thru the same thing... but I taught arobics before I got pregnant so I have a ton of music! A lot of it is 80's songs that have been remixed, I love it... if you want email me beckyjones356@hotmail.com, and I can make you a couple of cd's and send them to you. Running is so goog for you! Keep it up!

Mauri said...

It must have been something in the Bay Harbor water...I feel like I was reading my own thoughts! I have been running and running, trying to get the "tate weight" off and want to run a half marathon, but can only find Sunday races around here. I too am sick of my music, so if you get some good ideas, please pass them along! Some girlfriends and I are going to run an 8 mile "Turkey Trot" on Thanksgiving Day in Dallas. Hopefully that will be a good stepping stone to the half...Good luck with the child care situation. We work out at the YMCA and they will take babies at 6 weeks. It has been heaven and Ty LOVES going everyday. Stick with it, the break is nice and when I am skinny, it will be even nicer!

Ami Bethea said...

My sister in law just finished a half-marathon last weekend at Disneyland. It sounds like a blast with all the characters and running through Dland for most of it! I am going to work toward that one for next year since I will always have Labor day off from school. I don't know about FL though, I'm sure there will be races around Thanksgiving.

For running music - I listen to the Greys anatomy cd, jimmy eat world, 13 going on 30 soundtrack, green day, justin timberlake, and I can't think of who else. I am a big nerd with music - I need some new stuff so I'll be watching this post for ideas too!

Tracy said...

I am in the same rut right now! I am soooo sick of my music and most of the music I like isn't work out music... I actually ended up turning off my ipod at the gym yesterday! AND I cut my cardio down to a 10 minute walk... it's the Ipod's fault...

Anonymous said...

Christy, I have been running for 20 years so I have been through a lot of songs. Favorites and most motivating for me are: Def Leperd-Pour some sugar on me, Guns and Roses-Welcome to the Jungle, U2-Bloody Sunday,Sting-Desert Rose,Britney Spears-Overprotected, Stronger,Frans Ferdiland-Take Me Out,Madonnna-Vogue,Express Yourself,Ray Of Light. Hope this helps. -Susan

Steve Frahm said...

I'm an outta-shape old man, so take my suggestion for what it is worth, but "Classical Gas" makes me forget my pain, and John Denver's "Hawk and Eagle" is short but fills my fuel cells.